One of the most far-reaching elements of Responsible Care® is Product Safety and Stewardship. Health, safety and environmental considerations are incorporated into all stages of a products life cycle, including design and development, manufacture/formulation, distribution, storage, end use and final disposal. FMC Corporation’s Product Safety and Stewardship Program includes:
- Making health, safety and environmental considerations a priority in manufacturing existing products and planning for new products, facilities and processes;
- Working with our employees, suppliers, customers, contractors, and partners to promote responsible management of products and processes; and
- Encouraging constructive communication with our employees, suppliers, customers, neighbors and shareholders on managing health, safety and environmental issues.
Product risk characterization and management includes a review of hazard information, as well as the systems for manufacture, distribution and use of the product or product group. FMC uses the following criteria to prioritize products for risk management:
- Degree of physical, chemical, health and/or environmental hazard; and
- Potential for human and/or environmental exposure based on production volume and nature of end use.
Based on the level of product risk, FMC may implement:
- Customer education initiatives;
- Training on safe handling practices;
- Recommendations on use of protective equipment; and
- A review of product distribution practices.
FMC Corporation makes product safety and stewardship information available through customer call centers, the internet, and emergency hotlines. FMC employees believe that good health, safety and environmental management programs are essential elements in being a valued supplier and good corporate citizen. To contact FMC regarding its programs on health, safety and the environment, including product stewardship risk characterization and management programs, click here.